Guidelines for Resident Supervision
Colon and Rectal Surgery Residents have full privileges, medical and surgical, in the Department of Surgery at Louisiana State University-Shreveport, Christus Health-Highland Medical Center and Willis Knighton Health Systems-Pierremont. The resident will be under the direct supervision of every group faculty member; Dr. Michael Stratton, Dr. Philip Cole, Dr. Reid Grimes, and Dr. Andrew Werner.
Guidelines have been set-up with each member to work with each resident as listed below:
- Overall responsibility-- Colon & Rectal Surgery Residency Program Director, Dr. Michael Stratton
- Endoscopy-- Drs. Grimes and Werner will have the responsibility to be certain that the resident has had adequate training in colonoscopies so they are able to safely perform the procedure in clinical practice.
- Office Practice-- Drs. Stratton and Werner will share the responsibility to be certain that the resident is trained in the office practice setting of Colon & Rectal Surgery.
- Operating Room-- Drs. Grimes, Stratton, and Werner will each share responsibility for operative experience of the resident. They will be certain that the resident has broad experience in all Colon & Rectal Surgical procedures. This will include the mandatory procedures that must be performed in each category as recommended by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. It will also guarantee during the evaluation process that the resident is competent to perform each of the required procedures. The overall final assessment in this category will be made on the recommendation of Dr. Grimes.
- Didactic Evaluation-- This area will include education conferences, Journal Club, CARSAP, Core topics in Colon & Rectal Surgery, mock oral testing, and arrangements for the resident to attend the national conference in Colon & Rectal Surgery each year. These evaluations will be overseen by Dr. Philip Cole.
- Critical Care-- Dr. Grimes will be responsible for making sure that the resident has adequate exposure in education in the Critical Care Management of Colon and Rectal Surgery patients. Dr. Grimes will also be responsible for making sure that residents have adequate exposure to modalities in pelvic floor physiology and anal ultrasounds.
- LSU Shreveport Experience-- Residents in the Colon & Rectal outpatient surgical and endoscopy clinics will be under the supervision of Dr. Cole.